Monday, August 20, 2007

Sales are a girl's best friend

I went into Boston today and it was pretty satisfying. I went to go get breakfast a la 7-11 where a homeless man opened the door for me and hustled me for money. I ended up giving him like forty cents because that was all the change that I had. Burritos at 7-11 are surprisingly tasty, by the way.

After 7-11 I walked around the common for a bit and read the metro on a park bench. Then I went to Filene's Basement, which was crazzyyyyy. Everybody seemed to be in a rush to find the perfect shirt, pants, or dress. Some ladies were vicious, one woman tore a dress right out of my hand while screaming "THAT ONE'S MINE!!!" I let her have it... although I don't know how she fit into it? I'm five feet tall and chubby, and she was five foot eightish and a lot more than chubby-ish.

Isn't it weird how saving on money can make people so ... different? I'm pretty sure that had that dress been it's original $120 instead of $15, she wouldn't have reacted the way that she did. It's obvious why money has the impact it does on people, but is it all nessesary? If we lived in a world where everybody was provided with the perfect amount of food, the same clothes, the same technology, etc, would things be better?

There are books who test that theory, the one coming to mind being The Giver by Lois Lowry. In that book, everyone accepts their "black and white" lifestyle, until one learns of how things "used to be." It's a good read, and if you haven't read it perhaps you should. :)

I think that things would work out well if nessesities were provided by the government. Food, clothes, shelter, all that nice stuff. With that being provided, people could do what they really wanted to in life without worrying about starving to death, and earning money simply to buy accessories. There are flaws with my idea, of course, but perhaps in 0592980525 years it might come to work.

No comments: